We’ve all seen how a fresh coat of paint can transform the look of a home. But did you know that paint also provides protection against all sorts of issues? Continue reading to learn the benefits of exterior paint beyond its aesthetic appeal:
- Guards against the elements: All the rain we get throughout the year can do a number on a home’s exterior. If it’s not protected by paint, the moisture can seep into the siding and really wreak havoc. Thankfully, the right exterior paint keeps moisture at bay. Quality paint also blocks the sun’s UV rays and prevents them from drying out the wood.
- Rot and mold protection: Besides leaks, rotten wood and mold growth are two of the biggest issues caused by moisture. Unpainted areas of your siding are more prone to rot and mold because they’re not protected from the elements. Perform regular inspections and apply primer and paint where needed to keep your home safe.
- Pest defense: Insects will try anything to get inside your home. Hiring an exterminator can keep those pests away, but so can a professional painter. A fresh coat of paint will help seal any entrances for bugs to keep your home pest free. Additionally, talk to your painter about choosing an exterior paint that deters pests.
- Protects your investment: Your home is your largest investment—you should do everything you can to protect it. Don’t let it fall into disrepair by allowing the paint to chip or fade away. Hire a professional painter to perform an inspection to see if it’s time for a fresh coat of paint.
How often should your home be painted?
Contractors typically recommend repainting your exterior every seven to 10 years. However, this timeframe varies based on many factors, like the home’s siding and its location. Here are a few indicators that it’s time for new exterior paint:
- Flaking or bubbling paint: Damage like flaking, bubbling or cracking are clear indicators that it’s time for new paint, but they also mean there’s dry rot, wet rot or mold growth nearby. It’s crucial that you have your home repainted as soon as you notice any of this damage.
- Fading paint: UV rays will eventually cause “sun bleaching.” Your vibrant paint job will eventually turn a dull shade, which isn’t an attractive look. Before you repaint, be sure to choose a product designed to withstand all of the bright days we get in the Sunshine State.
- If you’re selling: Even though the housing market is hot, you should try to do everything in your power to increase your home’s curb appeal and attract buyers. If your paint is on the older side or showing signs of damage, we recommend having your home repainted before you put it on the market.
Be sure to hire Fresh Start Painting Inc.
If you’re ready to experience all the benefits of exterior paint, call our professionals at Fresh Start Painting Inc. We offer a wide variety of exterior painting services for homes of all sizes and styles. Get in touch with us today to get your estimate.
Categorised in: Painting